The eMDI is a new approach and significantly enhances transformer monitoring. It is a fully electronic low power maximum demand indicator that records highest quarter hour values of transformer phase currents, together with transformer case and local ambient temperatures. Designed to meet the requirements of modern utilities’ networks, it couples data processing with proven wireless technologies to provide remote access of transformer load profiles.
The retrieved data provides intelligence in determining load trends, phase-load imbalances, comparative analysis for weather events and seasonal periods; enabling more efficiencies in capital budgeting, resource planning and management and hence future proofing against capacity constraints.
- Drive-by wireless data collection (robust spread spectrum radio communication)
- Ease of Installation via existing current transformers and or split-core current transformers
- No outdoor power connections required (battery operated and solar powered)
- No installation outage required (subject to Supply Authority regulation)
- No ongoing maintenance
- Monitoring real time current loading; Maximum load and temperature profiling over 2 years; High resolution monitoring around user definable events.
- MDI Manager Software is a scalable, server based system which records data against a unique asset identifier.
- Inputs – phase currents via current transformers; ambient and tank temperatures, via external temperature probes
- Logging – 15 minute intervals at 16 bit resolution
- Data capture – load profiling: daily maximum phase currents (Figure 2) and temperatures
- Local storage for up to 2 years data. (Figure 3).
- Alarms – over current and over temperature. User settable. Upon an alarm event the high resolution (15 minute) logging data leading up to and following the event, is saved (Figure 4)
- Download – User can download all or only a section of the data.
- Unique asset ID – Each transformer can be assigned a unique ID. All data is recorded in the MDI Manager database under the unique asset identifier.
- Power supply – internal: re-chargeable battery (via integrated solar cell); external: 5VDC (if mounted indoors)